Wednesday, July 10, 2013

New project. 72 yamaha CS3 aka RD 200


So this little baby showed up in my driveway last night at about 9:45. I wheeled it into the backyard and went to bed.
At around 8:00 tonight I sprayed it down and gave it a quick bath. 

Not bad. It's mostly there and in decent shape. The little 200cc two stroker is stuck and the kicker is broke  so I ordered a new shaft for it today for a few bucks. I will see if I can soak it and free it up. I pulled a few things off to get a visual and start thinking about a plan. 

This is a super cool little bike. I can just about hear the ring da ding ding tang tang ring. It reminds me a lot of my old yamaha R5. So now comes the time to figure it out. There are a few different scenarios to pick from. Make it run, clean it up, fab a cool little rear section for it and run it. Or part it out to fund the next cl450 build I have planned. Or lastly maybe one of you lucky viewers wants a super cool two stroke street terror. I can see this being done a few different styles. But for some reason I keep seeing a way cool street racer. Maybe a dunstall type fairing a nice tucked in stance. Shouldered aluminum wheels with some polished out hubs and spokes and a set of vintage chambers for that awesome two stroke buzz. Mild or wild I can make it happen. If any of you are interested send me a message and let's talk two stroke madness! 

2 comments:

  1. hey :) i´m portuguese,anda i have a yamanha cs3 200 1971 anda i need a few parts of the motor anda i don´t find in portugal.how i cand find the psrts of motor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great lookin RD. I've just chopped my RD200a into a cafe racer. Looking very similar.
      Diogo,
      yamibits.co.uk have most parts. Also Yamaha Japan still has a lot of parts if you can convince your local yamaha dealer to search their stock. They also ship at low cost.

      Delete